History / The Early Years
The images on this page are taken from the Hot Springs County Historical Museum & Cultural Center Archives. The Museum can be contacted at (307) 864-5183 for additional information about the history of Thermopolis, WY.
Each image is identified with a `V` number. This will allow museum personnel to give additional information about a particular photo.
Circa 1920 (v03) – This is the north side of Broadway around the 500 block in the downtown area.
Circa 1920 (v04) – This is the N.E. corner of 6th & Broadway. It was known as the Blonde Building. The upstairs was known as the Emery Annex and later as the Central Hotel. Most of this building was destroyed by a fire in 1988.
Circa 1900 (v09) – A man (unknown) on a look out point on Round Top facing Thermopolis in the background.
Circa 1900 (v15) – A man (unknown) on a look out point on Round Top facing the cemetery in lower right. The Monument Hill Cemetery still exists but is now fenced and groomed.
Circa 1895 (v16b) – Left to rear: Bue Hansen home, Hansen Bun House, Higgins-Bird-McGrath Store, Butcher Shop E.C. Enderly Drug Store. Right rear to front: J.P. Nielsen Blacksmith shop, Slane Barber shop, Shafer & Cunningham Salon.
Circa 1906 (v17) – Looking towards N.W. corner of 5th and Arapahoe. Thermopolis on August 6, 1906 after a thunder storm. Pump in foreground provided town water. The Gem Restaurant and Record Newspaper have signs.
Circa 1919 (v23b) – Broadway between 5th & 6th. Klink building on the right. Postcard postmarked March 23, 1919 @ 12:30
Circa 1915 (v01) – SE corner of 5th and Arapahoe. The Skinner Building. Bank of Wyoming is now located there.
Circa 1918 (v18) – Broadway & 5th St looking N.W. Several of these buildings still exist. Photo donated by Nina Dow.
Circa 1915 (v19) – Looking West on Broadway from 3rd St. The Mills Building on right still exists. Photo donated by Walt Adams.